There is a special Salad made using Red Onions and Green Chillies in some parts of Kerala like Kottayam. This salad is known as Sarlas or Sarilas. I don’t know how it got that name but people from Kottayam seem to be familar with that name 😀
Nevertheless, this is the best salad which I have tasted and it goes well along with Fried Rice or Biriyani or Cutlets or Appam or any Kerala Dish. The beauty of this Onion Salad lies in its simplicity.
- Red Onions (cut into thin long slices) – 3 Medium
- Green Chillies (cut into small pieces) – 5 Nos.
- Juice of half a lemon
- Salt – to taste
- Pepper – A pinch
- Vinegar – 2 tsp
- Mix together all the above ingredients in a bowl.
- Squeeze the onions well for around 2-3 minutes till it is soft and the onions give a deep pink color. The secret to this recipe is that you have to mix everything well with your hand. The more you squeeze the onions, the better.
- Serve along with Fried Rice or Biriyani.
In our place we call it Sallas/Challas and it is a must for Beef Cutlets. It also has medicinal goodness and whenever don’t feel hungry/stomach upset due to sickenss this is a good try.