Peanuts – I love them in any form – be it raw, boiled or roasted. Peanuts are high in protein but they also have high calorific values, and hence are not recommended for those who want to lose weight. As an example, 1 cup of dry roasted peanuts has 850 calories. Isn’t that a huge number 🙂
Peanuts have no cholesterol. So that’s a really good point. Peanuts also help in lowering LDL Cholesterol and TriGlyceride Levels.
Peanuts belong to the Legume family, contrary to the popular belief that Peanuts belong to the Nut Family.
Peanuts (Kappalandi in Malayalam) is the favorite street snack of India. Whether you go to the beach or park or a hill station, you are sure to find roasted peanuts, steamed peanuts, spicy peanuts and so on.
Here is a yummy salad for all Peanut Lovers.
- Raw Peanuts – 1 cup
- Diced Cucumbers – 2 small
- Onion (sliced into fine pieces) – 1 small
- Diced Tomatoes – 1 medium
- Lemon Juice – 1 tsp
- Salt – as needed
- Red Chilly Powder – 1 tsp
- Pepper Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Water – as requied
- Bring peanuts to a boil in a large saucepan.
- Reduce heat to medium, add salt and red chilly powder.
- Cook the peanuts for 30-40 minutes till it becomes soft yet doesn’t lose crunchiness.
- Drain excess water if any. Add the sliced cucumbers, onion and tomatoes.
- Sprinkle lemon juice and pepper powder.
- Mix everything well using your hands.
- Your nutritious peanut salad is ready.