After all the Holiday Eating, here’s a super simple salad made using Moong Bean/Green Gram Sprouts (Cherupayaru Mulapichathu) . I have been longing to write about all the health benefits of Sprouted Mung beans but, I guess, it is well known to almost all Indians. Sprouts are free of cholesterol and are a good source of fiber and protein. It is easily digested and is free of gas. These sprouts can be eaten raw or lightly boiled. It is ideal for anyone on a diet. Sprouted Mung Beans can be refrigerated for 3-4 days.
I make these mung sprouts at home. There are lot of videos available on Youtube which demonstrate how to sprout different kind of beans.
This is how I sprout Moong Beans at home:-
- Wash and drain the moong beans. Soak the moong beans for atleast 8 hours. I leave it overnight.
- Rinse the soaked Moong beans 2-3 times. Drain the water and transfer the beans to a sprout jar. You can use any glass jar with a thin cloth secured to its rim.
- Repeat the 2nd step for 2-3 days until you get the desire sprouts.
Now I days, I have started using these Green Gram sprouts for making CheruPayaru Mezhkkupuratti, CheruPayru Curry etc. and it definitely tastes much better and is gentle on the stomach.
- Sprouted Mung (Moong) Beans – 1 cup (Raw or lightly boiled)
- Hard Boiled Egg – 1
- Grape Tomatoes – 5 or 6
- Salt – to taste
- Pepper – to taste
- Lightly boil the sprouts for around 5 minutes to soften it a bit. (optional)
- Combine all the ingredients to make a healthy salad. You can also use any salad dressing of your choice but I like mine with salt and pepper.