Broccoli is such a healthy vegetable but it is rarely used in Indian Cuisine. It is really expensive in India compared to other vegetables. Here is a recipe for a nourishing Cream of Broccoli Soup. This soup tastes wonderful and will lift your spirits on a dull day.
- Fresh Broccoli Florets & Stem (Chopped) – 4 Cups approx
- Chopped Onions – 1 small
- Chopped Garlic – 2 cloves
- Slit Green Chilly – 1 (optional)
- Vegetable Broth – 1 cup
- Water – 1/2 to 1 cup
- Milk – 1 cup (Alternatively, you can use Whipping Cream)
- Butter – 2 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Black Pepper – 1/2 tsp
- Melt 1 tbsp butter in a pan and saute onions until translucent.
- Add the garlic and slit green chilly and saute for a minute.
- Throw in the chopped broccoli and stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup of water and 1 cup vegetable broth to the pan. Cover and cook for around 10 minutes until the broccoli is tender.
- Remove from heat and allow it to cool. Blend everything in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Transfer it back to the pan and reheat.
- Slowly, add milk or cream and simmer for a few more minutes. Do not boil.
- Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with slivered almonds.
- If you want to thicken the soup, stir in 1-2 tbsp plain flour after Step 3. Saute until the flour turns light brown.