This is probably the easiest fish curry I have ever made. Thanks to Canned Sardines! I can quickly whip up a Fish Curry for Rice.
The first time I saw Canned Sardines in Tomato Sauce, I almost made up my mind that it would taste gross and fishy. However, hubby was inspired by a blog where he saw Canned Sardines being paired with beer. We finally bought Canned Sardines and tried it on a Sandwich. It was ok but nothing spectacular. One day, I was running out of time to prepare lunch and I decided to use a Can of Sardines to make a curry. Surprisingly, it tasted yummy and didn’t tasted like anything out of a can.
I make this spicy Sardine Curry only once in a while when I need an instant fix. I normally avoid eating out of a can. I have given up on the frozen sardines which we get in Indian Stores as it tastes disgusting most of the time. If you feel like having Kerala rice with curries, this is one good option for Bachelors. You need to use Canned Sardines in Tomato Sauce to get a tangy taste since we aren’t using Fish Tamarind.
- Sardines in Tomato Sauce – 1 can (I used Goya brand)
- Sliced Shallots – 2
- Mustard Seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Curry Leaves – a sprig
- Red Chilly Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Fish Masala Powder – 1.5 tsp (I used Eastern Fish Masala)
- Black Pepper Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds. Saute the shallots and curry leaves for a few minutes.
- Reduce heat and add 1/2 tsp red chilly powder and 1.5 tsp fish masala powder. Saute for a minute.
- Add 1/4 cup of water to the pan and mix everything well. Sprinkle 1/4 tsp black pepper powder. Add salt to taste.
- Add the canned sardines gently into the pan. Cover and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Serve this spicy sardine curry with rice.
I am a great fan of mathi curry .. I almost thought that I will forget the taste after comming to US. But Once my friend told me how to make meen peera … after that I am fan of mathi curry that I take a suspicious looking leaving from my social engagements on Sunday noon, just to have meen and kappa. 🙂
When I told this , some of the newly arrived Indians are like …Aiyyeeee … that’s usual for every indian . Well you know the taste.
Hi there, thank you for sharing your simple yet look delicious sardine curry. Thought of giving it a try, but not sure if you pour in the tomato sauce as well..