Cabbage Fry (Mezhkkupuratti or Upperi) is slightly different from the usual Cabbage Thoran as it doesn’t use grated coconut. It is known as Cabbage Poriyal in Tamil Nadu. Here is the recipe for Cabbage Upperi or Cabbage Stir Fry.
- Cabbage (grated) – 1 small
- Onions (finely chopped) – 1 med
- Garlic Cloves (Crushed) – 4 cloves
- Green Chillies (slit) – 3 or 4
- Turmeric – A pinch
- Salt – As Required
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Curry Leaves – A sprig
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a non stick pan and splutter mustard seeds.
- Add onions, garlic, green chillies and curry leaves and saute till the onions are tender.
- Add a pinch of turmeric and stir for a minute.
- Add cabbage and salt to taste and mix well.
- Cover the pan and cook on low flame, stirring occasionally.
- After 8-10 mins, the cabbage will be almost cooked. Open the lid and stir fry on medium high flame for 3-4 minutes till all water has evaporated.
- Serve it along with rice.
- Never add water while cooking cabbage. It will spoil the taste.
- It’s better to use a non-stick pan while making cabbage so that it doesn’t stick to the pan.
- Cabbage tastes best when made in Coconut Oil but you can use any cooking oil.
Thanks for this recipe. Seems an easy one and a good variation with the garlic added.