Moong Dal (lentil) is known as Cheru Payaru Parippu in Malayalam. It is split and dehusked Green Gram (Cheru Payaru). Haldiram’s savory Moong Dal fry is something which most of us love. I was trying to make a snack similar to Haldiram’s Moong Dal fry. Though I couldn’t make it exactly like Haldiram’s, this snack was really tasty. Here is a recipe for Roasted and lightly salted Moong Dal. This recipe uses minimal ingredients and is really simple to make.
- Moong Dal – 1 Cup
- Salt – to taste
- Cooking Spray
- Water – as needed
- Soak the moong dal in water for atleast 3-4 hours so that it becomes soft.
- Drain the water completely and transfer the dal to a paper towel.
- Heat a non stick pan and spray cooking oil.
- Add the soaked moong dal to the pan and sprinkle salt.
- Roast it on medium heat stirring occasionally till the water has evaporated from the dal and it starts becoming crispy.
- Once it becomes crisp, remove it from heat. If you continue roasting, the dal will turn hard as further water will be lost.
dental implants says
thanks for the recipe. I have been looking for this for a long time. Thanks again.
Thank you for posting this! I use roasted dal in a recipe for Murmura Chivda (snack food) and could not find any in the shop that wasn’t channa dal and coated in spices and preservatives. This recipe helps me to make a purer snack :o)
Can the above recipe be tried with rajma also?
What is cooking spray?
Love your recipe for moong dal, can u please let me know how long do u need to pan fry the dal so that it does not become too hard? Just give me approximate minutes. Thanks