Here is a recipe for making cutlets using Canned Tuna Fish. Generally, cutlets are deep fried in oil, but in this recipe, I pan fried the cutlets and it turned out nice and tasty. These cutlets are far more healthy when compared to deep fried ones. My husband loved these Pan Fried Tuna Cutlets. So go ahead and try it and let me know the verdict.
These cutlets make an excellent appetizer or you can place it inside a bun and have it as a Burger.
- Canned Tuna Fish – 2 cans ( I used Chunk Light tuna in water)
- Potato – 1 big
- Egg – 1
- Finely Diced Onions – 1 medium
- Finely chopped Green Chillies – 2 or 3
- Minced Ginger – 1 tbsp
- Minced Garlic – 3 cloves
- Curry Leaves (finely shredded) – A few
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Red Chilly Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Black Pepper Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Fish Masala Powder – 1 tbsp (Optional – I used store bought Eastern Fish Masala brand)
- Salt – to taste
- Bread Crumbs – 3 or 4 tbsp
- Cooking Spray/Oil for frying – As needed
- Boil the potato along with salt until well cooked. Remove the skin and mash it very finely without any chunks. (Alternatively, you can pressure cook the potato for 2 or 3 whistles.)
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan and saute onions until translucent.
- Add green chillies, ginger, garlic and curry leaves and saute for a few more minutes.
- Add red chilly powder, turmeric powder, fish masala powder, pepper powder and garam masala powder. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Drain the water or oil from the tuna and add it to the pan along with little salt.
- Mix everything well and cook the tuna for 10 minutes. Make sure to saute until it becomes dry.
- Allow it to cool. Then add the mashed potatoes and egg. Mix everything nicely.
- Add bread crumbs to the mixture and mix it to form a soft dough which will hold shape.
- Make lemon sized balls using your palm and flatten the balls to form cutlets of any shape you like.
- Heat a non stick frying pan and add 1 tbsp oil. (Alternatively, you can use cooking spray.)
- Place the cutlets in the pan and fry each side on medium heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Serve these hot cutlets with ketchup.
Hi,ur recipe looks really yummy n definitely m gonna try this!thanks for the recipe:D
Poornima Prasanth says
It was really really great!! Thanks a lot.. tasted just like the way mommy makes!!! 🙂 🙂 I had a doubt , do we have to mix the egg with the mixture or can we just dip the mix in egg and then dip in crumbs.. that’s how mom used to do it..
I tried this and it came out great! thanks so much for your help! 🙂
Justin Thomas says
To avoid the cutlets breaking up, what should I do?
amulya rodrigues says
Could i use Rawa instead of breadcrumbs?