Masoor Dal is known as Chuvana Parippu or simply Parippu in Malayalam. It is smaller in size and lighter on the stomach compared to Toor Dal (Tuvara Parippu). It cooks in no time.
Here is my recipe for a simple Masoor Dal Curry or Red Lentil Curry flavored with tomatoes, garlic and lemon juice.
- Masoor Dal (Chuvanna Parippu) – 1/2 cup
- Sliced Tomatoes – 1 small
- Crushed Garlic Cloves – 3
- Red Chillies – 4
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Red Chilly Powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Water – 2 cups
- Lemon Juice – 2 tbsp
- Curry Leaves – A sprig
- Mustard Seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Sliced Shallots – 4
- Dry Red Chillies – 4
- Wash the dal thoroughly and cook it in 2 cups of water along with tomatoes, garlic and salt.
- When it starts boiling, reduce heat and allow it to simmer.
- Add 1/4 tsp turmeric and 1 tsp chilly powder to the dal and continue cooking.
- Once the dal is cooked and the gravy thickens, remove from heat.
- Season with mustard seeds, shallots, red chillies and curry leaves.
- Sprinkle lemon juice on the curry and mix everything.
- Serve hot with Rice or Rotis.