I had bought a bag of fresh Snow Peas from Farmer’s Market and decided to make a simple thoran with it. I was searching for the exact Malayalam Name for Snow Peas but couldn’t find it anywhere.
Snow Peas look similar to Sword Beans but taste differently. Sword Beans is known as Valavara/ Valamara /Valpayar etc in Malayalam. Sword Beans is again different from Broad Beans, which are called Amara /Avara /Avarakka etc. in Malayalam.
If somebody can help me with the Malayalam name for Snow Peas, it would be great. I tried out a simple and quick thoran with Snow Peas and it tasted great. It cooks really fast compared to other bean varieties. Here is my recipe for a quick Snow Peas Thoran.
- Snow Peas (sliced into small pieces) – 1/2 lb
- Finely chopped Onion – 1 medium
- Chopped Red Chillies – 4
- Curry Leaves – A sprig
- Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Chilly Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Jeera (Cumin) Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Heat oil and splutter mustard seeds. Saute onions, red chillies and curry leaves until the onions become translucent.
- Add the snow peas and stir fry for around 2 minutes.
- Cover and cook on medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Add grated coconut, salt, turmeric, jeera and red chilly powder. Mix everything together.
- Cover and cook for another 5 minutes till done.
- Remove lid and allow any excess water to evaporate.
- This thoran goes well with rice.