I recently began trying a new leafy green vegetable known as Kale (Borecole). Though I had spotted it in most Supermarkets, I was reluctant to try it out since I didn’t know what it would taste like. After doing my own research about Kale, I decided to give it a try. I should say I am impressed with this leafy green which is something like a Wild Cabbage. These leafs have a longer cooking time compared to Spinach. The leafs don’t get soggy unlike Spinach. It has a slightly sweet taste. Enjoy this simple Kale & Potato Stir Fry.
- Curly Leaf Kale – 2 big bunches
- Potato – 2 medium
- Diced Onion – 1 medium
- Curry Leaves – a sprig
- Mustard Seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Red Chilly Flakes – 1 tsp
- Garlic Powder – 1/4 tsp (optional)
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 1.5 tbsp
- Wash the kale thoroughly. Discard the thick stems and roughly chop the leaves.
- Peel the potatoes and dice it into small cubes.
- Heat oil in a non stick pan and splutter mustard seeds.
- Add diced onions and curry leaves. Saute until the onions are translucent.
- Add the diced potatoes and stir fry for 5 minutes. Add salt to taste and 1/2 tsp turmeric powder.
- Next, add the chopped kale leaves, 1 tsp of red chilly flakes of 1/4 tsp of garlic powder. Cover and cook for 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. The kale will let out water and the potatoes will get cooked.
- Open the pan and stir fry for a few more minutes. You can mash a few of the potatoes. When the leaves have become soft, remove from stove top.