I have a love-hate relationship with Eggplants/Brinjal/Aubergine. It’s difficult to find an absolutely delicious recipe with Eggplant over which I would fall head-over-heels. I still don’t have any favorite Eggplant recipes. I only buy it occasionally to try new recipes.
Here is an easy recipe for Eggplant with Peppers. I served it with both rice and rotis. Hubby liked it and so did I but I am still searching for that perfect recipe. I used sweet Mini-Peppers in this recipe and it gave a little crunch to the dish.
- Purple Eggplant – 1 large
- Diced Onions – 1
- Minced Garlic – 2 cloves
- Diced Tomatoes – 2
- Diced Sweet Mini Peppers – 1 cup (Alternatively, use Red Bell Peppers)
- Oil – 1 tbsp + 1 tbsp
- Tomato Paste – 1 tbsp
- Vinegar – 1 tsp
- Red Chilly Powder – 1 tsp
- Black Pepper Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Peel the eggplant and dice it into bite-sized pieces. Rinse the pieces and drain it thoroughly. Toss the pieces with a little salt.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a wide skillet and add the eggplant pieces in a single layer. Allow it to cook and then give it a stir after 2 minutes. Continue doing this for 6-7 minutes so that the eggplant is soft yet holds shape. Remove the eggplants from the skillet. Keep aside.
- Add 1 more tablespoon of oil to the same pan. Throw in the diced onions. Saute until translucent.
- Add the minced garlic and tomatoes. Stir and cook until the tomatoes are soft. Throw in the diced peppers and saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Reduce heat and add 1 tsp of red chilly powder and stir fry for a minute.
- Next, add 1 tbsp of tomato paste and 1 tsp of vinegar along with the cooked egg plants. Sprinkle 1/4 tsp of black pepper powder. Add salt to taste.
- Cook for another 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally until the eggplant is very soft and most of the pieces have been mashed.
Hari Chandana says
Looks super delicious.. thanks for the recipe 🙂