This summer, my aunt gave me some home-grown Squash. It is a variety of Cucumber similar to Sambar Cucumber (See the last pic). As per her suggestion, I decided to make Moru (Yogurt) Curry with the Squash. Traditionally, Moru Curry is made with Grated Coconut so that the curry has thickness. If the Curd used is sour, vegetables or fruits are added to reduce the sourness.
I have used Plain Yogurt for making this Moru Curry. As the Yogurt is thick, I never add grated Coconut. We enjoyed this yummy Vellarikka Moru curry with rice.
- Sambar Cucumber (Vellarikka) – 2 cups (Peeled & diced)
- Plain Yogurt – 2 cups
- Slit Green Chillies – 3
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 + 1/4 tsp
- Water – 1 cup
- Salt – to taste
- Finely sliced Shallots – 5 or 6
- Dried Red Chillies – 3 or 4
- Curry Leaves – A sprig
- Finely Minced Ginger – 2 tsp
- Turmeric – 1/4 tsp
- Fenugreek (Uluva) – A pinch
- Jeera (Cumin) Seeds or Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard – 1/2 tsp
- Peel the cucumber and remove the seeds. Dice it into small pieces.
- In a deep pan, cook the cucumber pieces with salt, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, slit green chillies and little water. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until the cucumber pieces are tender.
- Meanwhile, blend the yogurt along with 1 cup water, 1/4 tsp turmeric and little salt.
- Pour the yogurt mix into the cooked cucumber, stirring continuously. Simmer on low heat for 5 minutes. Never allow the Curry to boil.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tbsp oil in another pan and splutter mustard seeds.
- Saute shallots, red chillies, ginger and curry leaves for a few minutes.
- Add a pinch of turmeric, cumin (jeerakam) and fenugreek. Stir and remove from heat.
- Add the seasoning to the yogurt mixture and keep on stirring for a few more minutes.Add more salt if required.
- Serve with rice and other Kerala Side dishes.
Chandrika Devi says
Very good recipe. We are preparing this recipe every week.
Thanks, expecting more good recipes.
Indira Nair says
fried shallots are not used for moru curry.
Indira Nair says
Please note that ginger and shallots are not used in traditional moru curry. For garnishing at the end, only mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, dry red chillies and curry leaves are used.