Two of my favorite ingredients which I use for Asian-style recipes are Fish Sauce and Roasted Peanuts. Add these to any dish and you get a Thai/Malayasian flavor. Here is a yummy Asian Style Chicken Curry in Peanut Sauce. I have used a combination of ingredients from Indian, Chinese and Thai cuisines. This curry has a wonderful balance of spiciness, sweetness, saltiness and sourness. Serve this curry with Fried Rice, Pulav, Malaysian Paratha or even Kerala Porotta.
- Boneless & Skinless Chicken Thighs – 1 kg/2.2 lbs
- Finely Sliced Shallots – 1/2 cup (Alternatively, you can use onions)
- Slit Green Chillies – 3 to 4 (Alter according to your spice tolerance)
- Curry Leaves – a sprig
- Powdered Roasted Peanuts – 1/4 cup
- Coriander Powder – 1 tbsp
- Chicken/Meat Masala Powder – 1 tbsp (I used Eastern brand)
- Vinegar – 2 tsp
- Brown Sugar – 1 to 2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 2 tbsp
For Marinating the Chicken
- Soy Sauce – 2 tbsp
- Fish Sauce – 1 to 2 tbsp
- Black Pepper Powder – 1 tsp
- Brown Sugar – 1 tsp
- Chicken/Meat Masala Powder – 1.5 tbsp (I used Eastern brand) [Alternatively, you can use Curry Powder]
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 2 tbsp
- Powdered Roasted Peanuts – 2 tbsp
- Lemon Juice – 2 tsp
- Clean and wash the chicken. Trim any visible fat and slice it into thin bite sized strips of 1/2″ thickness approx.
- Marinate the chicken with the above ingredients and refrigerate it for atleast 1 hour.
- Heat oil in a non stick pan and saute shallots/onions for a few minutes until translucent.
- Throw in the curry leaves and slit green chillies and saute for a few more minutes.
- Reduce heat and add 1 tbsp coriander powder, 1 tbsp chicken masala powder and the roasted powdered peanuts. Saute for a minute.
- Add the marinated chicken to the pan along with any left over marinade and 1/2 cup water.
- Cover and cook the chicken on medium heat for around 10 minutes. Do a taste test and add salt or more fish sauce only if needed.
- If there is no gravy, add 1/2 cup of water to the pan. Add 1-2 tsp of vinegar and brown sugar to taste and mix well.
- Cover and cook for 10-15 more minutes or until the chicken is done.
Chandrika Devi says
Asian chicken Curry in peanut sauce was very tasty. Expecting more good recipes.