Dried Shrimp or Prawns are commonly used in Kerala for making different curries and chutneys (chammanthi) like Chemeenum Manga Curry, Chemmeen Chammanthi, Chemmeen Podi, Chemmeen Fry etc.
Here is the recipe for making a tasty curry which goes well with rice. It is made using dried prawns/shrimp, tomatoes and coconut.
- Dried Prawns – 1/2 cup
- Grated Coconut – 1 cup
- Coriander Powder – 2 tbsp
- Chilly Powder – 2 tsp
- Onion – 1 medium
- Tomato – 2 medium
- Green chillies – 2 nos.
- Ginger Paste – 1 tsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Salt – As required
- Water – As required
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Sliced Shallots – 4
- Curry Leaves – A sprig
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Remove the head and tail of the dried prawns/shrimps, if it has not been removed.
- Wash the dried prawns thoroughly.
- Heat a non stick frying pan. Add the dried shrimps and fry lightly till it starts to change color.
- Reduce heat and add the grated coconut and fry for a few minutes till it becomes brown.
- Switch off the flames and add 2 tbsp coriander powder and 1 tsp chilly powder and roast it.
- Grind the above roasted ingredients into a fine paste, along with some salt . Add water as required, for grinding it into a smooth paste.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a wok. Add onions and saute till golden.
- Add tomatoes, green chillies and curry leaves and saute till the tomatoes are cooked and mashed.
- Add 1 tsp ginger paste, 1 tsp chilly powder and stir for a minute.
- Next add the grated coconut and shrimp paste and cook on medium flame for around 5-8 minutes. Add more salt and water if needed.
- Season the curry with mustard seeds, shallots and curry leaves.
- Serve along with Rice.
very good recipe. . my husband really enjoyed it!!
Awesome recipe 🙂 Thanks for sharing..I just love it…. I have made this curry many times 🙂