This was the first time I was trying Chicken Skewers or Chicken Kebabs (Kababs) at home. I used Chicken breasts for grilling. I had read that chicken breasts tend to become hard upon grilling unless you marinate it thoroughly so that the chicken retains its moisture. I marinated the chicken pieces with spices and refrigerated it for 2 hours. The longer you marinate the better. I used cooking spray to avoid chicken sticking to the grill pan. Keeping the chicken pieces thin will ensure that it is cooked properly on all sides. Chicken breasts require less time for grilling.
Here is my recipe for Grilled Chicken Skewers. We had it with Peanut Butter and it tasted yummy… I was too lazy to prepare a Peanut Satay Dip 🙂
- Chicken Breasts or Thighs – 1/2 lb (chopped into bite sized pieces. Don’t make it very thick)
- Diced Bell Peppers – 1 medium
- Cooking Spray – as needed
- Lemon wedges – 2
- Olive Oil – 1 tsp (optional)
For the Marinade
- Cumin – 1/4 tsp
- Coriander – 1/4 tsp
- Red Chilly Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Any Chicken Masala Powder – 1 tbsp
- Pepper Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Olive Oil – 1 tsp
- Lemon Juice – 1 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Clean and wash the chicken. Cut it into bite sized pieces of more or less uniform thickness.
- Make a marinade using all the above ingredients. Marinate the chicken for at least 2 hours in the fridge.
- If you are using wooden skewers, dip it in water for around 20 minutes so that it doesn’t get burnt while grilling.
- Thread the marinated chicken pieces and bell peppers on the skewers.
- Preheat a stove top grill pan and spray cooking oil. You can also apply a dab of olive oil on the pan for enhancing flavors.
- Grill the skewers on medium heat for around 10-12 minutes till the chicken is browned. Change sides in between to ensure even cooking. You can brush the chicken and bell peppers with olive oil while cooking.
- Sprinkle lemon juice before serving the spicy kebabs.