Tofu, also known as Bean Curd is a part of many different Asian Cuisines. It is made from Soy Milk and is of Chinese origin. It is high in protein and low in fat. Tofu looks similar to Paneer and can be used instead of Paneer in many Indian dishes. There are different varieties of Tofu like Soft Tofu, Firm Tofu and so on. I started trying Tofu after coming to US. Though it doesn’t have much of a flavor, it can be stir fried or sauteed along with other ingredients to suit the dish. You can try Tofu for a change though I personally prefer the taste of Panner. 🙂
Here is the recipe for making Stir Fried Tofu and Vegetable Noodles. Since Tofu doesn’t have any taste of it’s own, it’s better to marinate Tofu for some time before preparation. You can add any vegetables of your choice while making this dish.
- Any Noodles of your choice – 1 packet (12 oz)
- Tofu (Diced into cubes) – 2 cups (It’s better to Use Firm Tofu for stir frying)
- Asian Red Chilly Sauce – 1 tbsp
- Diced Onions – 1 medium
- Diced Carrots – 1 big
- Broccoli Florets – 1 cup
- Oil – 1 tbsp + 2 tbsp
- Soy sauce – 3 tbsp
- Chilly Garlic Sauce – 2 tbsp
- Pepper Powder – as required
- MSG (Aji-no-moto) – 1/4 tsp (optional)
- Salt – to taste
- Boil the Noodles with salt according to the instructions on the packet. Drain and allow it to cool.
- Drain the Tofu and dice it into bite sized cubes. Marinate Tofu with salt and 1 tbsp red chilly sauce for 15 minutes.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a non stick pan and add the tofu pieces.
- Stir fry over medium heat for around 10 minutes until the tofu is browned on all sides. Keep aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil/butter in another pan and add onions and saute till translucent.
- Add carrots and stir fry for around 5-7 minutes till it almost cooked but crispy.
- Next, add the broccoli florets along with salt to taste. Cover and cook for 3 minutes until soft.
- Add the stir fried tofu pieces to the pan.
- Blend in soy sauce and chilly garlic sauce.
- Stir in the cooked noodles and toss everything on medium-high heat for around 2-3 minutes.
- Season the noodles with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle a pinch of ajinomoto for more taste. (optional)