Sometimes vegetarian dishes can taste as good as their meat counterparts. When I started making Spaghetti with vegetables, I wasn’t sure if it would taste all that great without chicken or meat. Surprisingly, this Spicy Vegetable Spaghetti tasted great and satisfied our taste buds. I added lots of garlic for an extra flavor. I usually skip cheese while making Spaghetti/Pasta to keep it light.
Here is the recipe for a simple and healthy Vegetable Spaghetti. This is an excellent lunch/dinner for kids.
- Spaghetti – 1 packet – 16 oz/1 lb approx (I used Barilla Spaghetti)
- Olive Oil – 1/2 tsp + 2 tbsp
- Diced Onions – 1 medium
- Finely chopped garlic – 4 or 5 cloves
- Fresh or Frozen Mixed Vegetables – 2 cups (I used Beans, Carrots, Green Peas, Corn and Potatoes)
- Canned Crushed Tomatoes – 2 cups
- Chilly Garlic Sauce – 1 tbsp (Alternatively, use Red Chilly Flakes)
- Italian herb seasoning – 2 tbsp (The ingredients are Marjoram, Thyme, Rosemary, Sage, Oregano, Basil)
- Black Pepper powder – 2 tsp
- Onion Powder – 1 tsp (optional)
- Salt- to taste
- Water – as needed
- Cook the spaghetti in boiling water according to the instructions on the packet. Add salt and 1/2 tsp olive oil while cooking spaghetti.
- Drain water from the spaghetti and keep aside.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle water, cover and microwave the vegetables along with salt for around 3-5 minutes until half cooked. Drain excess water if any and keep aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a skillet and saute onions until soft.
- Add the finely chopped garlic and stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat and add Italian seasoning, pepper powder, onion powder and chilly garlic sauce. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes along with salt to taste and allow it to cook for 5-7 minutes on medium heat.
- Next add the half cooked vegetables and saute for a few minutes.
- Finally, add the cooked spaghetti and toss everything nicely for a few minutes.
- You may sprinkle grated cheese on the spaghetti before serving.
its superb. i like it.