Let me introduce you to a not so commonly used vegetable. In English, the vegetable is commonly known as Chayote Squash. In India, it is known by different names – Chow Chow, Sheema Kathrikka, Bangalore Kathrikka etc. Here is a picture of how it looks like.
This vegetable is very versatile and can be used for making Stir Fry or Gravies. Here is my recipe for an easy Chayote Squash Stir Fry or Bangalore Kathrikka Mezhkkupuratti.
- Chow Chow (peeled and diced into cubes) – 1 big
- Onion (chopped) – 1 small
- Green Chillies (slit) – 2
- Curry Leaves – A sprig
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Turmeric – 1/2 tsp
- Red Chilly Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Jeera (Cumin) Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – As required
- Peel the skin off the Chayote Squash and dice it into bite sized pieces and soak it in water for 5-10 minutes.
- Drain the water and keep aside.
- Heat a non-stick pan and add 2 tbsp oil.
- Add onions and saute till golden brown.
- Add curry leaves and green chillies and stir for a few seconds.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilly powder and jeera powder. Stir fry for a minute.
- Mix the chopped Sheema Kathrikka pieces and add some salt.
- Keep the pan closed and cook on low flame till the vegetable is done.
Do not add water while cooking the vegetable as it will spoil the taste. Instead cook it on low flame.