Vatha Kozhambu is a Tamil Dish which is made using a single fresh or dried vegetable. It is a spicy gravy which can be eaten with rice. The most commonly used vegetables for making Vatha Kuzhambu are Onion, Brinjal, Drumsticks, Mango etc. Here is the recipe for Onion Vatha Kozhambu.
1. Onion – 2 large (sliced into thin pieces)
2. Tamarind – a small lemon sized
3. Oil – 2 tbsp
4. Water – 3 cups
5. Sambar powder – 3 tbsp
6. Salt – to taste
7. Jaggery – 3 tsp
8. Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
9. Uzhunnu Parippu (Urad dal) – 1 tsp
10. Tuvara Parippu (Toor dal) – 1 tsp
11. Kayam (Asafoetida powder) – A pinch
12. Coriander leaves/Cilantro – A few
13. Curry leaves – A sprig
14. Rice flour – 1 tsp (optional)
1. Soak tamarind in 2 cups of water and squeeze out the juice.
2. Take a pan and heat oil. Splutter mustard seeds, urad dal and toor dal.
3. Now add the sliced onions and saute till golden brown.
4. Add curry leaves and sambar powder and fry for a minute.
5. Next, add the tamarind juice and salt and bring it to boil under low flame till the gravy thickens.
6. Add jaggery and let it boil for another 5 minutes. Add water if necessary.
7. If you need to thicken the kozhambu, mix rice flour in 2 tbsp water and add it to the kozhambu and cook for another 5 minutes.
8. Finally add coriander leaves and sprinkle some kayam.