Here is a recipe for Canned Tuna different from my previous Tuna Curry recipe. Tuna thoran is a dry side dish made using Canned Tuna and Coconut. It is very tasty and nourishing and can be made within 15 minutes. Tuna Fish is known as Choora in Malayalam. Please refer my post on English Malayalam Fish Names if you wish to know the names if some common fish used in Kerala.
- Canned Tuna Fish – 2 cans
- Tomato (chopped) – 1 large
- Onion (sliced) – 1 large
- Grated Coconut – 1/2 cup
- Ginger (finely sliced) – 1 tsp
- Crushed Garlic – 3 or 4 Cloves
- Green Chillies – 3 nos.
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Chilly powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tbsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – A sprig
- Salt – As required
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Pepper Powder – 1 tsp
- Cilantro (Coriander Leaves) – A few (Optional)
- Drain the water and oil from the canned tuna fish and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add onions and saute till translucent.
- Add ginger, garlic, slit green chillies and curry leaves and saute for a few minutes.
- Add tomatoes along with salt and stir till the tomatoes are mashed well. Sprinkle some cilantro.
- Now add 1 tsp chilly powder, 1 tbsp coriander powder, 1 tsp garam masala powder and stir for a few minutes till the oil separates from the masala.
- Add the tuna flakes and fry well for 5 minutes on low heat.
- Next, add the grated coconut and mix well. Cover the pan and cook on low flame for 5 minutes till it is completely dry.
- Finally, sprinkle some pepper powder.
- Serve this Tuna Thoran with Rice.