Thoran or Thokaran is a typical Kerala recipe which is made of vegetables and coconut. It is very nourishing and tasty. It is used as a side dish for rice. Here is the recipe for making Beans Thoran.
1. Beans (Chopped into thin pieces) – 1/2 kg
2. Kunjulli (Shallots) – 4-5
3. Garlic Cloves (Crushed) – 4-5
4. Green Chillies (slit) – 3 or 4
5. Turmeric – A pinch
6. Salt – As Required
7. Oil – 2 tbsp
8. Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
9. Curry Leaves – A sprig
10.Coconut (grated) – 1/2 Cup
11.Onion (sliced) – 1 small (Optional)
1. Grind together coconut, turmeric powder, kunjulli and green chillies.
2. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a non stick pan and splutter mustard seeds. You can add onions and saute till golden brown.
3. Add garlic and curry leaves and saute for a minute.
4. Add beans, ground coconut paste and salt to taste. Mix lightly.
5. Cover the pan and cook on low flame, stirring occasionally.
6. After 12- 15 mins, the beans will be cooked.
- Never add water while making any thoran. The vegetables contain water which is more than enough for cooking.