I was searching for some good Brinjal Recipes when I encountered this wonderful recipe for Stuffed Brinjal by Srilakshmi of Annapurna. It looked awesome and I was tempted to give it a try. The recipe seemed too easy to go wrong. So, I decided to give it a try.
I modified the original recipe with a few ingredients I liked. I added coconut and garam masala – 2 of my favorite ingredients. The outcome was good.
We had this stuffed brinjal for lunch along with rice and also for our evening snack 🙂 All credit for this recipe goes to Srilakshmi.
I am sending this photo for Click, photography event hosted at JugalBandi. The theme for this month is Bi-colour.
So I have started enjoying Brinjal.
This recipe is again dedicated to my dearest Husband who has always inspired and encouraged me. I am sending this to Fall in Love FIL – Brinjal, event hosted by Sanghi’s Food Delights.
- Small Purple Brinjals (Vazhuthananga) – 6 to 8
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Roasted Split Chana Dal/Dalia (Pottu Kadala) – 1/2 Cup
- Coconut Scrapes – 1/2 Cup
- Chilly Powder – 2 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Powder (Jeerakam) – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 tsp
- Water – 1/2 cup
- Grind all the above ingredients to form a coarse paste.
- Wash the brinjals. Remove the stem and make four long slits on each brinjal.
- Stuff the paste inside each brinjal liberally.
- Heat oil in a wide non stick pan.
- Add the stuffed brinjals to the pan. Add leftover paste so as to cover the brinjals.
- Cover and cook on low heat changing sides occasionally.
- I cooked the brinjals for almost 40 minutes before removing from stove top.
I’m happy that it turned out good. Pics look great..
easily available ingredients. however,the stuffing comes out of the brinjal while frying…so i fried the stuffing, fried the brinjal, mixed the flesh of binjal with the fried filling and yumm…i discovered a new chutney 🙂
SHINJINI SARANA says
Thanks so much, long time ago I use to have this in our house very often but with time I forgot the recipe. Thanks again for sharing the recipe. I modified it a bit by putting a little bit of ground nut as well. I stuffed tomatoes too in the same way. it came out very well. All my family members loved it.