I wanted to make something vegetarian during Lent and was running out of options for Lunch. We were getting bored of Rice/Roti and curries. That’s when I thought of using a few greens to make a variety rice. Here is a recipe for Spinach and Broccoli Rice. This is really easy to make and is a nice way to incorporate greens into your diet if you are not all that fond of veggies. You can use any rice for this recipe not necessarily Basmathi or Sona Masoori. I used parboiled rice and it came out well.
- Fresh or Frozen Spinach (Finely Chopped) – 2 cups
- Broccoli Florets (Fresh or frozen) – 1 cup
- Cooked and cooled Rice – 5 cups
- Finely Diced Onions – 1 medium
- Finely Chopped Garlic Cloves – 5
- Dry Red Chillies – 4 or 5
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Jeera/Cumin Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Sambar Powder – 1 tbsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Chilly Powder – 1 tsp
- Oil/Ghee – 2 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Add a few tablespoons of water to the spinach and broccoli. Sprinkle salt, cover and microwave for around 4-5 minutes.
- Heat oil/ghee in a big pan and splutter mustard seeds.
- Add onions and red chillies and saute till the onions begin to brown.
- Reduce heat and add the minced garlic to the pan. Stir fry for a few minutes.
- Add the microwaved spinach and broccoli to the pan and saute for around 5-7 minutes on medium heat.
- Next, add 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp cumin powder, 1 tbsp Sambar Powder, 1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder and 1 tsp Chilly Powder and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add more salt if required. Stir in rice to the above spinach broccoli mixture and toss everything.
- Cover and cook for another 2-3 minutes and remove from stove top. Serve along with Raitha , Pickle and Pappad/Chips.
spinach…broccoli…rice….i love it!!!good for health.