The combination of Dal (lentil) and Spinach is simply awesome specially when it is made by simmering in Ground Coconut Paste. Here is my recipe for our favorite Dal Palak or Cheerayum Parippum.
1. Toor Dal (Tuvara Parippu) – 1 cup
2. Spinach (Palak or Cheera) – 1 bunch chopped
3. Grated Coconut – 1/2 cup
4. Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
5. Onion (thinly sliced) – 1 med
6. Dry Red Chilly – 3
7. Cumin Seeds (Jeerakam) – 1/2 tsp
8. Green Chillies(Sliced) – 2
9. Kunjulli (Shallots) – 4 or 5
10. Oil – 3 tbsp
11. Garlic (chopped) – 3 or 4 cloves
12. Chilly Powder – 1sp
13. Salt – As required
14. Water – As required
15. Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
16. Curry Leaves – A sprig
1. Pressure Cook the Dal with Water, Salt and Turmeric Powder.
2. Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan.
3. Add onions, garlic and red chillies and saute till the onions are golden.
4. Add the spinach and pinch of salt and saute for a few minutes till it is cooked.
5. Add the cooked dal to this pan and bring it a boil stirring frequently.
6. Grind coconut, chilly powder, jeera, green chillies and kunjulli with little water.
7. Add the coconut paste to the dal and cook it for a few minutes till the curry is thick.
8. Finally season the curry with Mustard Seeds and Curry Leaves sauteed in 1 tbsp oil.
Superb curry….i tried it & it was really tasty….thnx for posting the recipe…
i am going to prepare it this way..seems yummy……..!!!!
Susan Praveen says
superb!!!!!!!!!!! i tried it….
Hey!!!!..your site is a huge relief!…i’m not a malayali…but am married to one. And the only source of getting authentic malayali recipes till now was my Mother-in-law. But with your site i guess i could spring a few surprises on her as well!!….:)…Thanks for making life a little easier!…
i am really bored of cooking the same sambar, rasam, and dal. But this seems to be different. i will definetly try it.
K.V. Thomas says
Nice recipe. I tried this y’day (28-7-10). All liked this very much. Though curry leaves were not available I used “daniya” instead. The aroma is different (better) from curry leaves. Thanks.. !!
The recipe is as simple as to be tried by enthusiastic people who love to have experiments in cooking. please specify to use the coconut oil for better aroma & taste.