Capsicum or Bell Pepper is known as Unda Mulakku /Kappal Mulakku etc. in malayalam. The color of capsicum can be green, red, yellow, orange and, more rarely, white, purple, blue, and brown, depending on when they are harvested and the specific cultivator. Here is the recipe for Capsicum and Tomato Stir Fry or Mezhkkuvaratti.
- Green Bell Peppers (diced into cubes) – 2 big
- Tomato (diced into cubes) – 1 big
- Onion (finely chopped) – 1 medium
- Red Chilly Powder – 1 tsp
- Curry Leaves – A sprig
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Turmeric – 1/2 tsp
- Jeera (Cumin) Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Mustard Seeds- 1 tsp
- Salt – As required
- Heat a non-stick pan and add 2 tbsp oil.
- Splutter mustard and add onions and saute till golden brown.
- Add curry leaves and stir for a few seconds.
- Add 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder, 1 tsp chilly powder and pinch of jeera powder.
- Mix the chopped Tomatoes and add some salt.
- When the tomatoes are half done, add the capsicum pieces and stir.
- Keep the pan closed and cook on low flame for 10-12 minutes till the vegetables are done.
A different combination!
nice recipe. but jeera is not fenugreek powder. jeera is cumin and methi is fenugreek. So can u confirm which one to use?
Thanks a lot. It was an oversight. You need to use jeera (cumin) powder.