Be it a quick meal for weekday dinners or a fancy meal for guests, Fried Rice is one dish which can’t go wrong. You can prepare it so many different ways with whatever ingredients you have in your refrigerator and pantry. Here is the recipe for a one-pot Asian Style Veg Fried Rice which I prepared with left over veggies and a few other ingredients I had in my pantry.
This Fried Rice gets a rich flavor from Fish Sauce, Peanut Butter, Cilantro & Tomato Ketchup.
- Long grain Basmati rice or any other Long Grain Rice – 2 cups
- Diced Onions – 1 medium
- Diced Spring Onions – 1 Bunch (separate the whites & greens)
- Diced Carrots – 2 medium
- Diced French Beans – 1 cup
- Diced Celery – 1/2 cup
- Finely Minced Garlic – 1 tbsp
- Chopped Cilantro Leaves (Malliyella) – A handful
- Butter/Oil – 3 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
For the Sauce
- Fish Sauce – 2 tbsp (Vegetarians can use Soy Sauce)
- Natural Peanut Butter – 1 tbsp
- Tomato Ketchup – 3 tbsp (I used Maggi Hot & Sweet Tomato Chilli Sauce)
- Red Chilly Flakes – 1 tsp (Alter according to your spice tolerance)
- Pepper Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Sugar – 1/2 tsp
- Soak the Basmati rice for 10-15 minutes. Wash and drain the rice thoroughly.
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients for the sauce along with 1 cup of water.
- Heat 3 tbsp butter/oil in a large skillet and saute the onions & spring onions whites for 2 minutes.
- Throw in the diced carrots and beans and stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Next, add the diced celery and stir fry for a minute.
- Add the drained rice and fry for 3-4 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Throw in the cilantro leaves and minced garlic. Stir fry for a minute.
- Add the prepared sauce to the pan along with 2 to 2.5 cups of water and salt to taste.
- Bring everything to a boil. Cover and cook the rice for 5 minutes on medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to low and continue cooking for another 7-8 minutes until the rice has been cooked and all water has been absorbed.
- Open the pan and fluff the fried rice with a fork. Garnish with a few more cilantro leaves and the spring onion greens.
- For 2 cups of rice, you need to use 3 to 3.5 cups of water depending on the rice.
- Feel free to add other veggies like Green Peas, Broccoli and so on.
the best fried rice i have tried so far. peanut butter and fish sauce gave it a nice flavor.
I made this fried rice with left over veggies and also added egg. It tasted excellent! Thank you.