When the guilt sets in after eating too much of White Rice, then I switch onto Salads. However, I get bored of Salads pretty quickly unless it is awesome. It is difficult for me to like a salad unless it has Boiled Eggs or Chicken. Yes, I need my protein! Here is the recipe for a wonderful Pomegranate Apple Salad with a homemade dressing. This salad is a wonderful choice for Meatless Fridays during Lent. You don’t have to eat Fish and Chips every Friday when you have such yummy salads!
I simply love the taste of this sweet and tangy Apple Cider Vinaigrette dressing. It tastes awesome and I end up licking the spoon. I don’t have to be guilty of indulging since this dressing doesn’t have High Fructose Corn Syrup or tons of other artificial ingredients. I have used sweet, mini, orange peppers and almonds for an extra crunch. Pomegranate gives such a bright color to this salad.
I love taking photos on a black background. I feel it greatly enhances the beauty of the food. I don’t have much patience when it comes to Food Styling. I need a lot of time to set up a pretty-looking table, so I simply keep accessories to a minimum.
Ingredients for the Salad
- Pomegranate – 1
- Apple – 1
- Baby Carrots – 6 to 8
- Sweet Mini Peppers – 5
- Almonds – 15
- Roughly Chopped Iceberg Salad Mix – 3 cups (The mix had Lettuce, Red Cabbage and Carrots)
- Lemon Juice – 1 tsp
- Salt – as needed
- Apple Cider Vinegar – 2 tbsp
- Olive Oil – 1 tbsp
- Lemon Juice – 2 tsp
- Maple Syrup – 1 tbsp (Alternatively, use Sugar or any sweetener)
- Red Chilly Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Onion Powder – 1/4 tsp (optional)
- Salt – to taste
- Heat a pan and lightly toast the almonds. This will take a few minutes. Chop it into small pieces and keep aside.
- Separate the pomegranate seeds into a large bowl.
- Peel and dice the apples into cubes. Toss it in 1 tsp lemon juice so that it doesn’t brown. Throw it into the bowl.
- De-seed the mini peppers and slice it into thin strips. Chop the baby carrots into thin strips.
- Toss all the above with chopped lettuce. Sprinkle a little salt.
- Garnish the salad with the chopped almonds.
- In a separate bowl, whisk all the ingredients for the dressing. Drizzle it over the salad before serving.