Coconut and Peanuts make and awesome combination for Chutneys. Peanuts elevate a simple Coconut Chutney (Thenga Chammanthi) to the next level. Here is an easy recipe for Coconut Peanut Chutney which can be made in minutes. This chutney goes well with Idli, Dosa and Upma.
- Grated Coconut – 1 cup (fresh or frozen)
- Dry Roasted Peanuts – a small handful
- Chopped Green Chillies – 1 or 2 (Alter according to your spice tolerance)
- Peeled Ginger – a small piece
- Salt – to taste
- Water – 1/4 cup
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Sliced Shallots – 2
- Curry Leaves – a small sprig
- Grind coconut, peanuts, green chillies and ginger along with water to form a medium-thick paste.
- If the paste is too thick, you can add a little more water. Season with salt.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds.
- Throw in the shallots and curry leaves and quickly saute for a few seconds.
- Pour the coconut-peanut paste into the pan. Stir everything and remove from heat.
- You can also grind a few curry leaves along with the coconut and it would taste even more wonderful.
- Add a teaspoon of sugar to your chutney and your kids are going to love it.
I tried this coconut peanut chutney today. Tasted yummy. Thanks for sharing.