Here is the recipe for making a Spicy Kerala style Chilly Chicken. This goes well along with Fried Rice and Noodles. This Chilly Chicken is dry and doesn’t have much of a gravy. This is an excellent side dish or appetizer for Parties.
- Boneless and Skinless chicken pieces (bite sized) – 1 lb (1/2 kg approx)
- Capsicum (diced into cubes) – 1 medium
- Diced Spring Onions – 1/2 cup (separate the whites & greens)
- Diced Onions – 1 medium
- Chopped Green Chillies – 3 or 4
- Ginger (minced into small pieces) – 1 tbsp
- Garlic (chopped into small pieces) – 1 tbsp
- Red Chilly Powder -1 tsp
- Tomato Sauce/Ketchup – 3 tbsp
- Hot and Sweet Tomato Chilly Sauce – 2 tbsp (Alternatively, you can use any Red Chilly Sauce and 1 tsp Sugar)
- Soy Sauce – 2 tbsp
- Black pepper Powder -1 tsp
- Ajinomoto (MSG) – 1/2 tsp (Optional)
- Salt – As required
- Oil – As required
- Egg – 2
- Cornflour – 2 tbsp
- Red Chilly Powder – 1/2 tbsp
- Soya Sauce – 1 tbsp
- Maida – 3 tbsp
- Ginger Paste – 1/2 tsp
- Garlic Paste -1/2 tsp
- Rice Flour – 1 tbsp (Optional)
- Tomato Ketchup – 2 tbsp
- Salt – As required
- Water – Optional
- Make a marinade with above ingredients. It should be in the form of a thick paste so that the chicken pieces get coated well. Add the chicken cubes and marinate it for an hour. You can leave it in the fridge for marination.
- Heat oil in a pan and deep fry the chicken pieces. Keep it aside and allow it to cool.
- Heat oil in another pan and saute the onions, spring onion whites, green chillies, ginger and garlic till the onions become translucent.
- Next add capsicum pieces and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Reduce heat and stir in 1 tsp chilly powder, 3 tbsp tomato sauce, 2 tbsp hot and sweet red chilly sauce, 2 tbsp soy sauce and salt.
- Sprinkle 1 tsp pepper powder and 1/2 tsp ajinomoto (optional).
- Add the fried chicken pieces to the pan and toss everything so that the gravy is coated on the chicken.
- Add the spring onion greens and remove from heat after 2-3 minutes.
- If you want gravy for your Chilly Chicken, add 1 cup of water or stock after step 7 and bring it to a slow boil.
- To thicken the gravy, dissolve 1 tbsp of Corn Flour in 1/4 cup of warm water and add it to the chilly chicken.