Masala Fried Fish is made by marinating fish in an onion-green chilly paste, then frying it in oil. Onions are potatoes are fried in oil along with the left-over marinade and then served with the fish. The onion-green chilly paste imparts a nice flavor to the fish. It is better to marinate the fish for a few hours so that all flavors are absorbed by the fish. You can serve this dish when you have guests. The fried onions and potatoes definitely make this dish savory. If you are a health conscious person, then you may skip this recipe. 🙂
- Fish (cut into medium sized pieces) – 8 to 10 pieces (I used Tilapia)
- Sliced Red Onions – 1 large
- Potato (sliced into thin discs) – 1 small
- Lemon Juice – 1 tbsp
- Kashmiri Chilly Powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Fish Masala Powder – 1 tbsp (optional – I used Eastern Fish Masala)
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 tbsp
- Black Pepper Powder – 1 tsp
- Fenugreek Powder (Uluva Podi) – 1/4 tsp
- Lemon Juice – 1 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Diced Onions – 1 small
- Green Chillies – 4 (Please alter according to your taste buds)
- Clean the fish thoroughly and soak it in water along with 1 tbsp lemon juice for a few minutes.
- Drain and cut it into medium sized pieces suitable for frying.
- Grind the onions and green chillies into a smooth and thick paste adding very little water.
- Prepare a marinade using this onion-green chilly paste and all the other ingredients mentioned above.
- Apply the marinade on the fish thoroughly. Refrigerate the marinated fish for around 2 hours. The longer you marinate the better it tastes.
- Heat oil in a non stick frying pan for shallow frying. Place the fish carefully in the pan so that oil doesn’t splutter. Reserve the marinade.
- Shallow fry the pieces on medium heat, turning sides occasionally.
- Make sure to fry the fishes on medium heat so that the masala doesn’t get burnt. Drain the fish onto paper towels.
- Add the onions and potatoes to the same oil and saute until soft.
- Add the leftover marinade and continue sauteing until the onions are brown and the potatoes have been cooked. It will take around 20 minutes for the onions to brown.
- Transfer the onion-potato masala to a serving bowl and place the fried fish on this masala.
- Serve this Masala Fried Fish as a starter or as a side with Rice.