Sherbet is a frozen dessert made with fruit and a hint of dairy. Sherbet has a dense texture unlike icecream and each bite is rich with fruit flavor. If you have an icecream maker, you can easily make a soft and creamy sherbet. For making sherbet without an icecream maker, we have to freeze, thaw and blend the sherbet a couple of times to get a smooth texture. This Mango Almond Sherbet tastes heavenly and as you dig into small bites of almond, you are going to want more of this wonderful dessert.
You can use milk, heavy cream, evaporated milk, butter milk and so on for making Sherbet.
- Whole Milk – 2 cups (Please use Full Fat Milk)
- Mango Pulp – 2 cups ( I have used Canned Mango Pulp)
- Cardamom Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Almonds – 1/4 cup
- Sugar – 1/4 cup (Alter according to desired sweetness)
- Soak almonds in warm water and peel of the skin. You can microwave the almonds in a cup of water for a minute and easily remove the skin.
- Powder the almonds leaving a few chunky pieces.
- Heat 2 cups of milk in a heavy pan. Bring it to a slow boil and keep on stirring on medium heat.
- Add the powdered almonds, cardamom and sugar. Continue stirring for around 15-20 minutes so that the water evaporates and the milk thickens.
- Remove from heat and add the mango pulp. Mix everything nicely.
- Allow it to cool completely. Pour it into a shallow pan and freeze it.
- The sherbet will have a semi-soft consistency after about an hour. You can serve it at this stage or wait until the sherbet is firm. The photo was taken at this stage (semi-soft consistency).
- If you don’t want the semi-soft consistency, freeze it for some more time until firm. Break the sherbet into pieces. If it has become very hard, you may need to thaw it lightly before you can break it.
- Blend the pieces in a blender and return to freezer. Freeze again until firm. Thaw lightly, break into pieces and blend it once again. This whole procedure of freeze-thaw-break-blend is done twice so that the ice-crystal are broken and the sherbet is smooth and creamy, and not icy. If you have an ice cream maker, you can easily get creamy, churned sherbet. Freeze it again in another airtight container. Thaw lightly before serving.
- I have used sweetened Canned Kesar Mango Pulp for making this Sherbet. You can also use Fresh Mango Puree. Make sure to filter the puree to remove solids.
- You can use Evaporated milk instead of Whole Milk. This will reduce the time taken for thickening the milk.
- Some people add corn starch or gelatin for thickening the milk but I haven’t used it.
- The sherbet can get firm the longer it stays in the freezer. You will need to thaw it slightly before serving.
- Alcohol can also be used in Sherbet to prevent it from becoming hard.