Here is a recipe for a quick and easy Thai Style Vegetable Stir Fry. A welcome change from the Indian Style Vegetarian side dishes. Cabbage is the main ingredient I have used in this recipe. When you stir fry cabbage in butter on high heat, it becomes mildly sweet and I love that flavor. Serve this vegetable stir-fry with Rice or you can have it as a Main dish.
If you are looking for Low-Carb alternatives to pasta and noodles, stir fried cabbage is an excellent option. Cabbage shredded into long ribbons and sauteed in butter has a wonderful flavor. It is a good choice for people on Low-Carb and Paleo diets.
- Sliced Onions – 1 small
- Shredded Cabbage – Half of a medium sized cabbage
- Thinly Sliced Carrots Strips – 1 cup
- Thinly Sliced Mushrooms – 1/2 cup
- Diagonally Sliced Beans – 1 cup
- Fish Sauce – 2 to 3 tsp (Vegetarians can instead use Soy Sauce)
- Garlic Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp (optional)
- Red Chilly Flakes – 1 tsp
- Crushed Roasted Peanuts – 1 tbsp
- Brown Sugar – 1 tsp (optional)
- Salt – to taste
- Oil/Butter – 2 tbsp
- Heat oil/butter in a wok until sizzling hot. Add the onions and saute for a minute on high heat.
- Throw in the beans and stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Next, throw in the carrots and mushrooms and continue stir frying for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the shredded cabbage and stir fry for another 4 minutes on high heat.
- Reduce heat and add garlic powder, a pinch of turmeric (optional), fish sauce, red chilly flakes, crushed peanuts, brown sugar (optional) and salt to taste.
- Continue sauteing the vegetables for a few more minutes until the cabbage is wilted. Do not overcook or else the cabbage will become soggy.
- Be careful while adding fish sauce. Add 1 tsp and do a taste test. Continue adding it little by little until you get the right taste.