Quinoa (pronounced ‘Keenwah’) is a gluten-free pseudo cereal. Unlike rice and wheat, it is a complete source of protein and is rich in dietary fibre making it heart-healthy. It can be used for making Soups, Stir Fries, Pulavs and even Payasams. I have started enjoying the taste of Quinoa though my husband still hasn’t got a hang of it in Soups and Stir Fries. However, these Quinoa Patties are a winner. Hubby raved about it and I couldn’t believe that I was eating something so good without the greasiness of meat. I don’t think I will ever go back to those greasy Meat patties.
I am not sure if Quinoa is available in India. However it is becoming common in Western Countries. Quinoa is cooked by boiling it in water just like we cook rice. Once cooked, it becomes translucent and the germ separates from the seed. You can turn these Quinoa Carrot Patties into a burger with a bun and a few toppings, or you can enjoy it just like that with some yummy ketchup or chutney. These are perfect as appetizers or as snacks.
- Cooked Quinoa – 1 cup
- Shredded Parmesan/Mozarella Cheese – 3 tbsp
- Shredded Carrots – 1/2 cup
- Dried Parsley Flakes – 1 tsp
- Finely Chopped Spring Onions – 1/4 cup
- Red Chilly Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garlic Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Egg – 1
- Bread Crumbs – 1/2 cup (Use Whole Wheat for a healthier option)
- Oil – 2 to 3 tbsp
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients listed from 1-8.
- Lightly beat the egg and add it to the quinoa mixture. Combine everything.
- Start adding breadcrumbs to the mixture, one tablespoon at a time.
- Using you hands, mix everything until it comes together. If the mixture is wet, you will need to add more breadcrumbs. You should be able to make balls with mixture.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a skillet. Scope out lemon sized balls of the quinoa mixture and shape it into patties of 1/2 to 3/4 ” thickness.
- Place the patties on the skillet and fry each side for 3-4 minutes or until browned.
- Press down the patties with a spatula as it gets cooked. Add more oil if needed.
- Remove onto paper towels and serve immediately.