If you to want to avoid coconut, then you can make Beans Mezhkkupuratti instead of Thoran. Sauteed beans can be prepared very quickly without any hassles.
- Diced Beans – `1/2 lb (I use both fresh and frozen beans)
- Sliced Red Chillies – 4
- Finely sliced Onions – 1 medium
- Curry Leaves – A sprig
- Mustard Seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder -1/2 tsp
- Chilly Powder – 1 tsp
- Finely Chopped Garlic – 3 or 4 cloves
- Salt – As required
- Wash and drain the beans. Sprinkle water and microwave it for 2-3 minutes. (Optional Step)
- Heat oil in a non stick pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add onions and saute till translucent.
- Add the Red Chillies, Garlic and Curry Leaves and saute for a few minutes.
- Next, add 1/2 tsp turmeric & 1 tsp Chilly powder and saute for a minute.
- Add the beans along with salt and mix well.
- Cover the pan and allow it to cook for around 10 minutes or until tender.
- Open the lid, increase heat and saute for 2-3 minutes so that excess water evaporates.
- When making mezhukkupuratti, it is best not to add water. Instead cover and cook on low heat, stirring occasionally.
- If you pre cook the vegetables in microwave, the vegetables cook faster.