Maggi Masala Noodles have become so popular in India. The masala flavored spice packet which comes along with the Noodles is well suited for Indian taste buds. I had some Shrimp and decided to try Masala flavored Noodles which is different from the regular Chinese Noodles made with all the Chinese Sauces. Though I wasn’t able to recreate the Maggi Masala magic, we loved this spicy masala noodles and relished it.
Here is the recipe for making Masala flavored Shrimp/Prawn Noodles. You can add chicken or meat instead of Shrimp.
- Chinese Egg Noodles – 1 packet (12 -14 oz)
- Lightly Cooked Shrimp (peeled & deveined) – 1/2 lb (You can also use Uncooked Shrimp)
- Finely Diced Onions – 1 large
- Thinly sliced Carrots – 1 cup
- Diagonally Sliced Beans – 1 cup
- Diagonally Sliced Snap Peas – 1 cup
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Chicken Masala Powder – 1 tbsp ( I have used Eastern brand)
- Onion Powder – 1 tsp
- Garlic Powder – 1 tsp
- Eggs – 2
- Bean Sprouts – 1/2 cup
- Chopped Spring Onions/Green Onions/Scallions – 1 bunch
- White/Black Pepper – to taste
- Oil – 3 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Lemon Juice – 1 tbsp
For the Sauce
- Dark Soy Sauce – 4 tbsp
- Tomato Ketchup – 2 tbsp
- Red/Green Chilly Sauce – 1 tbsp
- Brown Sugar – 1 to 2 tsp
For marinating the Shrimp
- Soy sauce – 2 to 4 tbsp
- Ginger garlic Paste – 1 tbsp
- Chilly Garlic Sauce – 1 tbsp
- Cornstarch – 1 tbsp
- Wash and clean the shrimp. Soak it in water along with 1 tbsp lemon juice for 5 minutes. Drain and marinate with the above ingredients and refrigerate it for atleast 30 minutes.
- Boil the Egg noodles according to the instructions on the packet. Drain and rinse the noodles with cold water. Keep aside.
- Beat the eggs with little salt and pepper and keep aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a wok and throw in the marinated shrimp. Stir fry on high heat for 5 minutes. Remove the shrimp and keep aside.
- Heat 2 more tbsp of oil in the same wok and saute onions until translucent.
- Add carrots, beans and snap peas to the wok. Stir fry on medium-high heat for around 5-7 minutes till it almost cooked but crispy. Season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat and add chicken masala powder, turmeric powder, onion powder and garlic powder. Stir fry for a minute.
- Push the veggies to the sides of the wok and add the beaten eggs. Allow the eggs to set and then scramble thoroughly.
- Throw in the previously stir fried shrimp to the wok.
- Mix all the ingredients for the sauce and pour it into the wok. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the noodles, bean sprouts and spring onions. Toss everythign well for 3-4 minutes on medium high heat until the sauces have been absorbed by the noodles.
- If you are using Uncooked Shrimp, you will have to stir fry it until it turns pink.
- Fell free to incorporate vegetables of your choice like bell peppers, celery, cabbage and so on.