I love Fish Cakes and Crab Cakes. They make such an excellent snack or appetizer. If you like Kerala Style Fish Cutlets, then I urge you to try this easy recipe for Fish Cakes. These fish cakes are gluten free as I haven’t used Bread Crumbs. Instead, I have used Almond Flour as a binding agent. You can use any mild-tasting Fish like Tilapia or Flounder for making Fish Cakes.
These fish cakes are pan-fried in very little oil and they are healthier than the deep fried ones. I am addicted to these fish cakes and could finish it all in one sitting. Well, I don’t do that as I have to share it with my husband. I don’t feel guilty when I indulge in these yummy Fish Cakes. After all, it’s only fish and isn’t laden with fat or carbs. Oh! it is grain-free as well.
Serves: 3 to 4
- White Fish Fillets – 3 medium
- Finely Minced Onions – 1/4 cup
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Red Chilly or Cayenne Pepper Powder – 1/4 tsp + 1/4 tsp
- Garlic Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Black Pepper Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Dried Parley Flakes – 1 tsp (optional)
- Egg – 1
- Dessicated Coconut – 1 tbsp
- Almond Flour – 2 tbsp approx (I made my own by powdering Almonds in a mixie)
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 1.5 to 2 tbsp
- Wash and pat dry the fish fillets with a paper towel.
- Marinate the fillets with 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1/4 tsp Red Chilly Powder and a little salt. Keep it aside for 5 minutes.
- Heat 1-2 tsp oil in a wide non-stick pan or skillet. Place the fillets on the pan and allow it to cook for 3-4 minutes on medium heat.
- Gently flip the fillets and let it cook for another 2-3 minutes. Do not worry if the fillets break or fall apart. Remove from heat. Once cooled, transfer it to a bowl and flake it with a fork.
- Add garlic powder, black pepper powder, 1/4 tsp red chilly powder, dried parsley flakes, egg, dessicated coconut and chopped onions to the bowl.
- Start mixing everything together with your hands. Add 1 to 2 tbsp almond flour as needed. Shape it into mini-patties.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a skillet or frying pan on medium heat. Gently fry the fish cakes for 3-4 minutes on each side or until browned.
- Drain onto paper towels. Serve with ketchup, tartar sauce or any sauce of your choice.
- You can make your own Almond Flour at home by powdering Almonds using a Spice Grinder or Mixie.
- These fish cakes are delicate. Do not overcrowd the pan and be careful while flipping it.