Spinach Thoran is very nutritious and tasty. My husband loves Spinach Thoran though he is not fond of spinach in other forms. I mostly use frozen spinach for convenience but fresh spinach gives a wonderful flavor when compared to the frozen one. Cleaning and chopping Fresh Spinach can be time taking.
- Cleaned and Chopped Spinach/Frozen Spinach – 5 Cups
- Sliced Shallots (Kunjulli/Pearl Onions) – 1/2 cup
- Crushed Garlic – 4 or 5 cloves
- Dry Red Chillies – 4
- Salt – As Required
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Curry Leaves – A sprig
- Grated Coconut – 1 Cup
- Cumin (Jeera) – 1/4 tsp
- Slit Green Chillies – 2
- Turmeric – A pinch
- Grind coconut, green chillies, turmeric powder and cumin into a coarse paste.
- Combine the chopped spinach with some salt and keep aside.
- If you are using frozen spinach, sprinkle salt, cover and microwave for 3-4 minutes and drain away excess water.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a non stick pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add shallots, garlic, dry red chillies, curry leaves and saute for a few minutes.
- Add the chopped spinach and mix everything. Cover and cook for 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Spread out the spinach so that the water evaporates easily. When the water has almost evaporated, add the coconut mixture and combine everything together. Add more salt if needed.
- Cover the pan and cook on low flame for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally or until the spinach is cooked.
- Remove the lid and stir fry carefully for another 2-3 minutes so that all water evaporates and the spinach is not soggy.