Idiyappam is another traditional Kerala Breakfast item and is something like Steamed Rice Noodles. It can be made quickly using Rice Flour. You need an “Idiyappam Press or Squeezer” to make rice noodles from the dough. Here is a photo of Idiyappam Maker. You can steam the idiyappam in an Idli Maker.
Idiyappam is generally made using plain rice flour and doesn’t require roasting. The Idiyappam shown in the picture was made using Home Made Roasted Red Rice Flour which my Mom sent from Kerala for making Puttu 🙂 Idiyappam is usually garnished with Coconut and Sugar. It is served with some nice gravy like Chicken Curry, Vegetable Stew, Egg Curry and so on. Some people also dip it in Coconut Milk and have it.
- Rice Flour – 2 cups
- Warm Water – 1.5 cups approx
- Salt – to taste
- Grated Coconut – 3/4 cup (optional)
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Take rice flour in a big bowl and add salt to it.
- Start adding warm water and knead the rice flour to form a smooth and soft dough which is not sticky.
- Apply a dab of oil on the insides of the “Idiyappam Maker” and fill it with the dough. Close it tightly.
- Apply some oil on each mould of the Idli Plate and start squeezing the dough onto the moulds in a circular motion.
- You can also use any plain steaming plate instead of Idli Plates.
- In a similar fashion, grease the steaming plate and squeeze the dough in a circular motion.
- You can garnish each Idiyappam with a little coconut mixed with sugar.
- Steam the idiyappam in the Idli Maker for around 10 minutes.
- Serve it hot with any curry of your choice.