Breadfruit is known as “Kada Chakka” or “Sheema Chakka” in Malayalam as it resembles a miniature jackfruit. Breadfruit is high in starch and tastes similar to potato or fresh baked bread.
Keralites use Breadfruit for making delicious curries like Varutharacha Kadachakka curry. Ripe Breadfruit is very sweet and can be used for making desserts. Here is a wonderful recipe from my sister-in-law. She has used Ripe Breadfruit & Coconut Milk for making a quick dessert or payasam.
- Ripe Breadfruit – 1 medium
- Sugar – 4 tbsp (Alter according to your desired sweetness)
- Thin Coconut Milk – 1.5 cup
- Grated Coconut – 1/4 cup
- Powdered Cardamom (Elakka) – 2 pods
- Peel the outer skin of the breadfruit and roughly chop it into bite sized pieces.
- Steam the breadfruit pieces for around 5-7 minutes until soft. Keep aside.
- Heat coconut milk, sugar & cardamom powder in a saucepan on medium low heat for 5-7 minutes.
- Add the steamed breadfruit to the pan. Simmer for five more minutes so that the flavors blend.
- Throw in the grated coconut to the pudding and mix well. Simmer for few more minutes. Remove from heat and keep covered.