It’s been quite a while since I have blogged. The Holiday Season kept me on my toes with lot of guest and parties. Now, I am kind of free and am going to upload some of the recipes which I tried for Christmas.
I wanted to try a different Chicken dish for my friends. Finally, I decided to go with a Spicy Chicken Roast which has very little gravy or almost no gravy. Chicken Roast is a common accompaniment with Fried Rice for many Christian Weddings in Kerala.
- Skinless Chicken Legs/Drumsticks (medium sized) – 6 to 8 pieces
- Sliced Onions – 2 large (Use Red Onions for a better taste)
- Curry Leaves – A Sprig
- Slit Green Chillies – 3 or 4
- Homemade Garam Masala Powder – 1 tsp
- Chicken Masala Powder – 1 to 2 tbsp (I use store bought Eastern or Nirapara brands)
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 tbsp
- Hot and Sweet Tomato Chilly Sauce – 2 tbsp (optional)
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – For shallow frying the chicken pieces
- Chilly Powder – 1 tbsp (Alter according to your Spice Tolerance)
- Turmeric Powder -1/2 tsp
- Black Pepper Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Chicken Masala Powder – 2 tbsp (I generally use store bought Eastern/Nirapara brands)
- Tandoori Chicken Masala Powder – 2 tbsp (I have used Sakthi Tandoori Chicken Masala)
- Ginger Paste – 1 tsp
- Garlic Paste – 1 tsp
- Lemon Juice – 2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Remove the skin from the chicken legs or drumsticks and clean the pieces thoroughly.
- Make 3-4 slits on each chicken piece. Make a marinade using the above ingredients and rub the marinade on the chicken pieces and keep it in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours.
- Heat oil in large pan and place the chicken pieces in oil and shallow fry each piece till all sides are fried properly. (You can fry the chicken pieces in several steps, if the pan is not big enough).
- Remove the fried chicken drumsticks from oil and keep aside.
- Add the sliced onions to the same oil and saute for a while.
- Add slit green chillies and curry leaves and saute for a few more minutes.
- When the onions begin to brown, reduce heat and add 1 tsp garam masala powder, 1 tbsp chicken masala powder, 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste and left over marinade if any and stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Next, add 2 tbsp Hot and Sweet Sauce and salt to taste and mix well.
- Add the fried chicken pieces to this thick masala and mix well. Cover and cook on low flame for around 5 minutes so that the chicken drumsticks are coated well with the masala.
- Serve this spicy Chicken Roast with Fried Rice.
- You can use any store bought chicken Masala Powder for this recipe. Brands like Eastern, Saras, Melam, Priyom, Niraprara etc. are good. Click here for Home Made Chicken Masala Powder ingredients.