Chicken Curry flavored with Mint Leaves tastes wonderful & refreshing. No wonder, Mint Leaves are a must while making Biryani. Ever since I started growing Mint Leaves (Pudhina) at home, I have often used it in my Chicken Curry. Here is the recipe for a yummy Mint Chicken Curry.
If you have left over Mint Leaves and are wondering what to do, go ahead and add it your Chicken Curry.
- Whole Chicken (cut into medium sized pieces) – 1 kg/2.2 lbs
- Thinly sliced Onions – 1 large
- Diced Tomatoes – 1 large
- Slit Green Chillies – 4 (Alter according to your Spice Tolerance)
- Curry Leaves – A small sprig
- Mint leaves (Pudhina) – 1/2 cup packed
- Chopped Cilantro (Malliyilla) – 1/2 cup (Use the leaves & stem)
- Fresh Ginger – 1/2″ long piece
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Chicken Masala Powder – 2 tbsp (Any brand, I used Eastern Chicken Masala Powder)
- Homemade Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 to 1 tsp
- Yogurt – 1/2 Cup
- Lemon Juice – 1 tbsp
- Salt- to taste
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Chicken Masala Powder – 1 tbsp
- Kashmiri Chilly Powder – 1 tsp (Alter according to your spice tolerance)
- Pepper Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tbsp
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Wash and clean the chicken pieces thoroughly and soak it in water along with 1 tbsp lemon juice for around 10 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Make a marinade using the above ingredients and rub it nicely on the chicken pieces. Keep it aside for atleast 30 minutes.
- Grind the mint & cilantro along with the ginger and garlic to make a fine paste.
- Heat a big non stick pan and add 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Then add onions, slit green chillies and curry leaves and saute till the onions begin to lightly brown.
- Add the ground mint ginger-garlic paste and fry for a minute or two.
- Throw in the chopped tomatoes and cook till the tomatoes are pulpy and mashed.
- Reduce heat and add 2 tbsp chicken masala powder. Saute for a minute.
- Blend 1/2 cup of yogurt with little water and add it to the pan along with salt to taste and mix well. Allow it to simmer for a while.
- Add the marinated chicken to the masala gravy and mix gently. Cover and cook on medium heat for around 20-25 minutes till the chicken has been cooked thoroughly.
- Open the pan and add garam masala powder. Simmer on low heat for 5-7 minutes so that the gravy thickens. Remove from heat and keep covered.